Sunday, August 21

Primary


At church I teach the 10 and 11 year olds.
I started out the year with 9 kids,
and it was already one of the biggest classes
and the class with some of the most difficult kids.
In the last 2 months we have had several new families move in
and of course each family happens to have a 10 or 11 year old.
My class is now at 15. Ouch!!
I do love these kids but it is a very difficult class to teach.
They are a tiny bit, well, a lot out of control.
Last week I told them that I did not think I could keep teaching them
because most of them never listened and I could not continue to talk over them.
(I do have about 4 that are really good and really want to listen)
Anyway I told them that I was going to let them start taking turns teaching the lessons.
Some of them thought that was a great idea,
until I told them how I was going to behave while they were teaching.
I told them I was going to lean back in my chair, sometimes falling over in it.
I was going to turn the lights on and off,
yell out answers when I was not asked, or better yet completely talk about something off of subject to someone clear across the room.
Beg for treats non stop. Ask to go get a drink and go to the bathroom a million times.
Tell them how stupid the lesson is.
And my favorite thing which I could hardly wait to do,
I was going to crawl in and out the window.
They all looked at me like I had lost my mind................
I am actually afraid that I just might lose my mind if things don't change!!

After class, Rachel Morrin handed me the note above!
What a sweet girl! I guess maybe I am not the worst teacher in the world after all.
I actually felt a little guilty for about losing it in class!

Today, primary went a little smoother.
Chairs were still knocked over, lights were still switched on and off,
and I don't think anybody really listened,
but at least nobody climbed out the window!!
And I managed to smile at all of their little antics and I gave them great treats!




No comments: