Saturday, September 11

September 11, 2001


I remember September 11, 2001
I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard about
the plane crashing into the twin towers.
I was driving up to Primary Children's Hospital.
Aspen was in the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit.
James and I were switching shifts. For some reason I had not turned the radio on.
James called and said 2 planes had crashed into the Twin Towers in New York.
I asked him what that meant?
And he said it meant a lot of people had just died!
To be honest, I was unaffected at that moment by this news.
My only concern was for my 6 month old daughter
who was in the hospital fighting for her life.
We were fighting our own war against the terrorist that were attacking her body.
She had been running a fever and was very sick.....
that was my only concern on that day.
Sounds a little selfish I guess.........................
There was a little boy in the room next to Aspens that was losing his battle.
All of his family had gathered to say good bye.....
That was my reality that day!

I remember later having to deal with how scared my children at home were
that there was going to be a world war,
or that something terrible was going to happen here in Utah.
I watched all of the up dates and reports all day long, but what happened
did not faze me until the next year on the anniversary of the attacks
and I watched all of the recounts of what had happened.
At that point Aspen was gone, so my concern was not with her.
A year later I was horrified as I watched the video footage........
It was then that I cried for the people of New York who had lost loved ones.



9 years ago today...................
A lot of memories of that day!
But not memories of the attack in New York.....
memories of the attack on my daughter and the war we were fighting at home....
still makes me cry!


No comments: